Thursday, November 09, 2017

Lucy Goes to the Vet



Lucy made the long trip with me to the coast clinic yesterday.

I was also going to pick up Miss Daisy's remains, her ashes.  But they were not ready yet.
Old Lucy, after a bad haircut I gave her last spring.


I did pay off her bill.   And Lucy's.

Lucy had ear issues unrelated to ear mites.   She kept accumulating debris and they smelled but I couldn't tell if that was from her mouth or ears.  Also, I'd hear her teeth click sometimes.

I headed out early after a full nights sleep and got there just five minutes before the clinic opened for surgery patients.

The weather was wildly windy and rainy, as is usual for Oregon in the winter.

After dropping off Lucy, I spent most of the day at one nearby beach or another, parked, just reading a book I keep in the car or watching the wild waves.

I had a piece of pizza from Costco for lunch.   And finally found a cheap remedy to long johns.  I usually have long johns for winter but mine fell apart after 20 years.  They were silk and comfortable.  But I can't afford silk long underwear now or merina wool.  Both products are very good for wet areas as they retain warmth when wet.  At Costco I found 32 Degree brand long joins for $6.99.  They don't look that durable and are neither silk nor wool but don't contain cotton at least.  Cotton is a useless fabric for staying warm in wet climates.  At that price, I decided it didn't hurt to give them a try.

I had already gotten my socks wet and my jeans wet and probably shouldn't be killing time in a store when already cold.   But I didn't feel very guilty spending that little and then the $1.99 for a piece of pizza.  Now I'm on the hunt for some affordable yet efficient rain pants. In the winter when its raining I often wear long johns and rain pants over them. That was until my long johns fell apart and my rain pants vanished. I may have left them somewhere.  It's not a bulky way to go but keeps me warm and dry.

I went back to the south jetty to eat my piece of pizza and read my Harry Bosch novel.  The wild wind was slamming waves into the south jetty in spectacular displays.  Then I spotted the coast guard helicopter going back and forth near the mouth of the Columbia and wondered if they were training in this bad weather or really searching for a distressed boat.

There's a warm security seeing them out there, a pride too.  I want them on the job!  I know they're the best at what they do.




She's got to be from Oregon.  Tie dye.  No coat.  Out there right by the jetty, to take photos of the crashing waves.





Lucy had a split tooth pulled and her ears cleaned out.  She has to be on ear meds, as she may have an infection going on with her ears, and she is now on antibiotics.  Her senior blood work came out normal.  I was relieved.

I drove straight home then, trying to do exercises with my legs and shoulders to keep from being sore the next few days.  I would just tighten a muscle and then release, trying to relax it completely.  The drive home was through extreme down pours in the dark.  The usual stuff for an Oregon winter.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:58 AM

    They certainly are spectacular crashing waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes big waves. When I was a kid, we used to sit out on the end of the jetty in Bandon as the waves crashed over us. It was a "thing" then, just for kicks.

      Delete
  2. My niece is in flight school right now training to be a Coast Guard helicopter pilot. She will be the best she can be and her next assignment may be in Oregon. I'll tell her give you a wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is impressive and those pilots make a huge difference, save a lot of lives. Yes tell her to give me a wave, if she gets stationed in Astoria. There's still a helicopter in Newport too, although the fishermen's wives have had to fight to try to keep it there. Budget cuts. It's so needed in Newport. And a station down where I grew up in the Coos Bay area too. I admire the coast guard so much, their work in the worst of weather to save people.

      Delete
  3. I am glad that Lucy could be helped.
    And hooray for the Coast Guard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hooray for the Coast Guard. They save so many lives in Oregon. Lucy is one tough kitty!

      Delete
  4. I've seen those base layers (both tops and bottoms) at Costco too, and wondered how well they'd work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your endeavors. You rock.

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...